Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Gluten Free We: A Few Recipies

After seeing about 100 commercials for Marie Calendar's chicken pot pie (Hulu tends to play the same commercials over and over) and developed an intense craving for chicken pot pie. I would have loved to have been able to drive to Marie Calendar's and ordered one to go, but that was not an option, so I decided to give making my own a go.

There are a few foods I didn't ever think I could make. For some reason I just thought they had to be made professionally or by someone far more culinary skilled than me. Things like pie or cinnamon rolls were on my list, and I had made both of those (I blogged about the pies here and here but never wrote about the cinnamon rolls, but I'll quickly say they were really yummy - even if I did forget to add the cinnamon to half of the batch) with some success, so once again, I gathered my courage and decided to give making my own Chicken Pot Pie a go.

I should also mention, most of my culinary bravery comes from Ree, The Pioneer Woman.

Ok, so I followed this tutorial for the filling, but adapted it a bit and used rotisserie chicken from New Seasons and whatever poultry seasoning we had instead of herb de provence. I also eyeballed about a half cup of lactose free sour cream instead of the milk in order to make this a gluten and dairy free meal.

I followed Bob's recipe for a generic GF pie crust (luckily it didn't have any sugar, so I didn't have to figure out how to omit sweetness from the crust) but had to double the recipe because what is listed only makes enough for the bottom of the pan.

There were a few mishaps when I was rolling out the top crust, so it looks pretty ugly and in trying to be sure the filling wasn't too wet, I baked it a little long and the filling was quite dry, but other than that, my version of Chicken Pot Pie was pretty good it fulfilled my craving! Next time I think I'll try for a flakier crust (and so sums up the adventure that is GF baking!) and make individual servings instead of a whole pie.


I'll also mention that the filling recipe makes enough filling for two pies. I saved half of my ingredients and used this recipe as a base to make them into a soup. I've made her soup before, and my version this time was better, but that's what happens when you use fresh veggies, sour cream instead of milk, and leave out the soggy potatoes (I hate mushy potatoes, blech!).

Last night's dinner was super yummy! We bought a mix of Bob's Red Mill GF Pizza Crust when we were at the mill, and finally made it last night. We picked up some organic pizza sauce and nitrate-free pepperoni from New Seasons and gave it a go. The crust was very good and did not have the distinct gluten free taste other pizzas we have tried tend to have. This was a very delicious meal - but really, with this much mozzarella and fresh parmesan, how can anything be anything but delicious??


And finally, a breakfast. We have yet to find a comparably delicious GF pancake or waffle mix, so our hunt for morning options continues, but my mom gave us a recipe that will be in our rotation from now on. It's super easy and really good. Just a fried egg, a strip of bacon (this wasn't in her recipe, but trust me, it's a nice addition), arugula and fresh salsa on a cooked corn tortilla. Super simple, super fresh feeling and super yummy - a win!


Have you had any luck with with a GF waffle mix or a flaky, light GF pie crust? If so, please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment